Sunday, February 8, 2015

Turkey Chili

One of my go-to meals, especially on weekends, it turkey chili. I keep the essentials, ground turkey and canned beans, in stock at all times, but often I will throw in whatever else we have, like frozen veggies.

Now, I know some people are EXTREMELY particular when it comes to chili. Some people believe that chili should not have beans in it, some believe you should use only certain spices and others believe you should only use a certain type of meat. I am constantly varying the way I make chili, always looking for a different recipe. But this is my go-to recipe.

INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion (I do not like onions, however use it to cook for flavor)
Chili powder
Ground Cumin
Paprika
Ground Nutmeg
Ground Cloves
Cinnamon
Garlic Powder
16 oz (2 small cans) tomato sauce
14.5 oz (1 can) diced tomatoes
15.5 oz (1 can) spicy chili beans (I use the Publix store brand)
15.5 oz (1 can) dark red kidney beans
15.5 oz (1 can) pinto beans
15.25 oz (1 can) black beans


























1. Spray some cooking spray into a skillet, dice half a yellow onion

2. Put the onion in pan, let sit for a few minutes, add ground turkey.

3. Add chili powder, cumin and paprika to turkey and onions. Although I don't use specific measurements, I add these three in the greatest amount. Then I add smaller amounts, less than a teaspoons worth of the nutmeg, cloves cinnamon and garlic. The adding of seasoning is not an exact science, I vary the amounts.


4. Once the ground turkey and onions are pretty much completely cooked, I get out my crock pot and put the beans and tomatoes in it. 


5. Then I add the ground turkey mixture to the crockpot. The first time I made my chili this way I actually drained the turkey, but realized how much flavor I was losing by not using the liquid that can from the turkey.





6. Mix and let sit for about 6 hours on high. One of the great things about chili in the crock pot, the longer it sits, the better the flavor.

I put out cheese, sour cream, onion and crackers to top the chili with. If I remember to buy and make it, I will make corn bread. But that doesn't always happen.





Please let me know below if you try my recipe or if you have a go-to recipe.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment