Thursday, July 24, 2014

Infused Water


I have recently discovered, and fallen in love with, infused water. Infused water is basically water that has different fruits, herbs or vegetables essentially in it. The flavors & nutrients infuse with the water, adding flavor and different beneficial properties to the water.  

Now, while I have been experimenting with different fruits, such as watermelon, strawberry and orange, this is only going to be the recipe that I started my water infusion experience with: lemon, cucumber, mint and ginger.

 

Lemon, as most of us know, is a great addition to a glass of water. It's full of Vitamin C for an immune system boost, potassium for heart health, aids in digestion, helps flush toxins and stimulates your liver, freshens breath, helps reduce hunger cravings, reduces inflammation, gives an energy boost, helps cut caffeine cravings and fights viral infections.

Cucumbers are also full of helpful nutrients. It's full of antioxidants which help with healthy aging and fight disease. Full of Vitamin K, they aid in keeping bones in tip top condition. They can also aid in remedying a hangover, weight loss and reducing blood pressure.

Mint adds a fresh taste to the water and has been show to aid in digestion.

Ginger is also a great addition to water, as it also contains many antioxidants. 

So, here is how I make my refreshing water:

You'll need:

1 lemon

1/2 cucumber

3/4 cups fresh mint leaves

2 inch section of ginger (use a spoon to scrape the skin off, save your knuckles) 

After you have scrubbed and wash the cucumber and lemon, slice each into as thin of slices and you can manage (I normally do some funky end cutting of my lemon, to get every part I can.) 

Once you have scrapped the skin off the ginger, cut it into small pieces. Mine are usually just big enough to not get poured out through the spout of my pitcher.

 
Take the lemon & cucumber slices, ginger pieces and mint leaves and place into a pitcher. Pour water into the pitcher. (I would suggest distilled or filtered water. I use water from my Brita pitcher.)

 

 

You can drink the water immediately, but I would advise that you wait at least a few hours if possible, overnight is best. I normally make a fresh pitcher at night so the water can sit for at least 6 hours.

 

 

I'll be honest, it took a little bit to get used to the taste, but I have come to think that it is refreshing and I don't like drinking plain jane water anymore. Also, I will say that after drinking this water for just a few days, I truly felt less bloated and 'slimmer.'

 

 

Please let me know if you drink any types of infused water OR if you try my recipe and like or dislike it.

No comments:

Post a Comment