Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Clean Eating

I hate the 'D' word. You know the word, that one single word that restricts you from eating pretty much everything except lettuce. Diet. There I said it.
 
Although the word diet can also mean the way you eat. As in your diet consists of ..... The trust is, I just want to find a way of eating that will not bore me to death, be fairly easy and improve and keep me healthy.
 
I tried the low-carb 'diet.' It was great, I lost a ton of weight, actually getting down to my 'ideal' weight. But I gained it all back, got pregnant and gained more.
 
Anyway, an acquaintance of mine on Facebook and Instagram is always posting pictures of what she makes for dinner and it always looks delish! And she eats 'clean.' So after some research (and by no means is this the dietitian/nutritionist description of it) this is what I discovered about eating clean: 
 
  • You are encouraged to eat more fruits and vegetables and limit red meats
  • You should not eat processed food. 'If it came from a plant it's okay, if it's made in a plant it's not.'
  • You are encouraged to eliminate white rice, white potatoes and white flour.
  • It's easier to eat at home, you have better control of what goes in your food.
 

One thing I learned doing my research is that you start to learn what your body needs and what foods are needed. You look at foods more as fuel for your body than just something to fill you stomach when you're hungry. For example, for my mid-morning snack, I ate a piece of Ezekiel Sprouted Grain bread, with TB of natural peanut butter and half a banana on top. I know that snack will satisfy me until lunch because of the fiber in the bread, protein in the peanut butter and the good carbs in the banana. My other choice for a mid-morning snack was a frosted donut.
 
I'm still learning about the concept of eating clean and trying to learn recipes and how to make it easier for me to do everyday.
 
Do you have any tips for eating clean?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any tips but I must say that I am with you on this whole 'clean' eating thing. This is how I was brought up to eat and it has helped me stay healthy and happy my throughout my life. The best of luck with your new lifestyle :)

    ReplyDelete